Thursday, May 8, 2008

Get Rid of Weeds With Boiling Hot Water

Did you know that one of the best organic ways to get rid of grass or weeds in the crevices of your sidewalk or in your drive is to treat them with boiling hot water? It's fast, it's easy and doesn't require any herbicides. As with any weeding, you need to be careful that you don't harm surrounding vegetation so be careful where you are pouring the hot water. It takes a few days to see results.


This a difficult area to dig out.


Boil water in a pan.


Pour boiling water on vegetation.


After a few days, scrape off dead vegetation.

6 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I've read about that method but have never tried it. I think I'll try it this weekend once the rain stops here. I've got some weeds and grass in the seams of my driveway...

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Linda said...

I usually add a bit of vinegar to the boiling water. This trick works well.

Karen and Ralph said...

Thanks for the tip Crafty Gardener. We'll have to try that next time.

Barbara said...

I may have to try this, thanks :)

Daphne Gould said...

I like that trick. I'll have to try it. I have lots of nasty weeds that grow up between my house and my patio.

Anonymous said...

I had heard that boiling water works on large ant hills, but I had never heard about using it on weeds. I'm going to have to keep that in mind.