WHEN TO DIVIDE
- If it blooms in the spring, divide it in the fall.
- If it blooms in the summer or fall, wait to divide it in the spring as soon as frost is out of the ground.
- It’s best to divide perennials when it is cool and cloudy.
HOW TO DIVIDE
WHEN AND HOW TO PLANT
- Never allow divisions to dry out. If planting immediately, keep a pail of water nearby to moisten divisions until they are planted. Otherwise, you can wrap them in damp newspaper to keep them moist for a short period of time.
- Trim all broken roots with a sharp knife or pruners before replanting.
- Plant the divided sections as soon as possible in the garden or in containers at the same depth they were originally.
- Firm soil around the roots to eliminate air pockets.
- Water well after planting.